?

?

Friday 28 February 2014

Holdings Pottery

I had serious misgivings about exploring this place, mainly due to various tales of photographers being asked to leave by the owner who appears to be concerned that some hapless explorer will come a cropper under the rather unsafe roofing in the buildings. However, I felt a strong urge to go and view it for myself, having seen some cracking shots of the interior.
This family business was started in 1842 by James Holding at a small hamlet called Gaulkthorn, moving to Broadfield Pottery in 1860 where it continued under James Holding’s sons and grandsons, moving to the present site sometime during the 20th century. It is unclear exactly when the business ceased making pottery. It appears to have been abandoned for some time, from the general state of the place.

 
The place has big metal fencing, and large signage, warning of the dangers, but I found an easy way in and started to explore the myriad junk abandoned here.
 
 
 
 
 
 
There was everything in here . . even the kitchen sink!
 
 
The first outbuilding that I entered was quite dark and the floor was quite uneven so I didn't bother with the tripod (and regretted it a little afterwards)
 
 
 
The old typewriter was quite a find - rusted to buggery but interesting nonetheless.
 
 
 
I was spoiled for choice for the obligatory "wrecked chair" shot . . .
 
 
 
 
 
But my favourite was the old armchair with moss growing out of it . . .
 
 
 
 
There was evidence of pottery, in various states, all over the place. Some broken, some intact. Some covered in algae and sludge from the lack of roof, open to the elements.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
It was sad to see so many pots, which would have been carefully created, just strewn all over the place.  
 
 
 
Thw machine above was apparently used to squeeze all the water out of the clay. I believe that the potters dug their own clay from the surrounding land.
 
 
 
 
 Not sure what this machine did.
 
Headless garden statue found in one of the outbuildings.
 
 
Some of the chaos and mess to be found around the place.
 
 
 
 
More abadoned chairs . . .  
 
 
 
Out building with most of the roofing tiles missing.  
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The "water squeezing" machine again . . .
 
 
And so, having had an undisturbed visit and feeling that I had pushed my luck, I followed the sign back down the muddy path to the car . There is plenty more to see. Maybe I will return . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment